Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Olives, Cafe, Duomo....all in Verona


With hunger for life's little pleasures comes the urge to discover new foods and cuisines of the globe.

Italian and French cooking was considered exotic to my Chinese and Japanese classmates, Chinese food was the exotic choice of the Italians and Germans. Yet we all had something in common. We all have those childhood habits of adoring one thing, while having another thing turn your stomach. In the middle there are those foods that you just never tried. You don't know why, but you just know that you don't even want to. Olives was just that type of food for me. Until recently...

The place -- Cafe Duomo, Verona, Italy.
The time -- lunch.
The choice -- Cafe Duomo Salad.

I have never tried an Olive in my entire life. The very smell of Olives just did not provide an inkling to try one. Yet, I was mesmorized as soon as I saw them arranged in the center and surrounded by real fresh tomatos, mozarella that actually has flavor and chunks of tuna on a bed of lettuce, capers and shredded carrots. I was drawn to its shininess, it's olive color. It just looked so appetizing. I had to try one. Of course, I had to fall in love. I had to wonder why was this the first time that I have tried such a creature, at the same time I was glad that it wasn't too late.

I now love olives. Well, at least the big green ones. I hope to share my love and get a taste of more as I fondly remember that day in Verona, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment