Tuesday, October 11, 2011

To have and to hold…a husband.

It started with:

“It’s so weird to say ‘Fiancée.’ I still don’t get what the big deal is. You’re either married or not married, everything else seems kind of pointless?!”

And so about four months after that we had the pleasure of letting me do what I was looking forward to in the first place – calling someone my husband.

It all happened with the officiality of the city clerk’s office, with closest friends and family. All it took were laughs, beautiful flowers, casual and chic dresses, memorable shoes, unforgettable photos, tourist excursions on the Brooklyn Bridge, French food, lounge music, heartwarming toasts and some wacky dancing.

Everyone, I am sure, feels and experiences the tradition of marriage in various individual ways. What stands out for me, as the newest member of the club, is this husband business. Voila, I am now married and possess a husband.

What a possessive witch, you say! Sounds like it, doesn’t it? But the idea of a husband ‘to have and to hold,’ as the saying goes, is basically what it comes down to, doesn’t it? You are now legally bound to share your happiness, your tears, your memories and your future, your wealth and your pauperness. When I am dancing, sitting, driving, reading, sleeping, eating, laughing, crying next to him, I think:

“Wow, I now have a whole other person who is mine to share whatever with.”


There is also the little fact of the almost universal support and announcement of marriage by a simple, molded piece of metal around one’s finger. Just imagine how these lightweight shiny him and hers circles hold all this power, message and symbolism of the eternal love.

As of September 30th, 2011, I have a husband and I am someone’s wife.

1 comment:

  1. All, I can say is good luck :) but don't take it from me, I am still trying to divorce the one I thought I held. I sincerely hope it works out for you as it was meant to work out.

    ReplyDelete