Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I want to be a superhero!

Sweet and sassy. Classic and chic. Sophisticated but playful. Trendy and cool. Fun and sexy.

Which one am I? Which one will I be tomorrow? What about the day after? If you’ve ever bought a pair of new eyeglasses for yourself or with/for someone else, you may know what I’m getting at. This gentle and elegant piece of metal comfortably sitting on your nose may seem so simple from afar but yet it is so intertwined up close that it can possibly be responsible for getting you to ace the next job interview. The bold statement of a wide plastic rim almost caressing your temples has the potential of letting you close that big sale. Don’t get me started on the sparkles that flare behind the sensuality of the UV protected lenses.

Let’s admit, some frames make you feel like a superhero. Others, not so much. Some get oooohs and aaaaahs from your friends. Others get zip of attention, not even a glance in their direction. You have the right to bear a perfect frame! That is exactly what I did yesterday.

I wish I had the budget to buy a pair of eyeglasses for every one of the above categories, i.e. sexy, sophisticated, trendy. For now, I will only be getting one pair. It has the power to say it all, but doesn’t give away all. It makes you be noticed by others, but at the same time lets them know that you’re not that easy to approach.

A shut out goes out to Village Eyecare on the Lower East Side and the owner (semi-owner?) and staff that helped me make the decision that I’ll be living with for at least a year or two or three. They have a great selection, suitable for any New Yorker and even an occasional tourist that promenades along St. Mark’s place. (A French couple left with a pair to bring home as I was picking out mine). Yes, they have the Guccis and the Pradas, but those are just the beginning. Did I mention there’s a view of the Brooklyn Bridge through a red brick wall? A beautiful hand-painted mural.

I am looking forward to picking up new pair soon! Or I might just stop by to say hello to the girls.

1 comment:

  1. hey :)) no honey, i'm not offended. Even though it wasn't inspired by "Alice in Wonderland", i can totally see why someone would say that :) and when you made a link to the movie in your post - i knew who you were talking bout ;) i love it

    And THANKS for the compliments bout my work too.

    Hey, Anna Kiper's book of her incredible illustrations is out in the stores and there will be a book signing on March 31 at FIT, i am definitely going.

    Would love it if you came too.

    Send me a FR on facebook, let's be in touch.

    Leon

    ReplyDelete