Monday, February 21, 2011

On the Soloist.

The Soloist. The angle that piqued my interest was a writer’s search for a story. As I sit down and think about writing the blog I go through the same experience. I think of the day. I think of a story. I welcome the muses. I absorb the words that fill the screen as I type them out. I think of how to tell the story in a way that brings my vision to the imagination of the reader and makes the reader curious about what happens next. The story should always have a human interest, the touch that reaches the reader's soul.

This was a story of a young Julliard drop out, now homeless. There would be no story if the journalist was not able to find the homeless musical genius after their first encounter. There would be no story if the schizophrenic’s admiration for Beethoven did not move the LATimes Mr. Lopez’s appreciation for the depth of the human soul brought out by music. While Mr. Ayer’s mind was not all there at times, his love and talent for music, however, has never left. Robert Downey Jr. and Jamie Foxx portrayed the true life story characters.

It was also a story about friendship. It is sometimes difficult to realize that the best thing you can offer someone is your friendship. After all it is a basic human need to socialize. You don’t have to try to save someone else. You don’t have to try improving someone else’s life. You don't have to keep thinking that you know what is best.

All you need to do is offer your handshake and some company. A shared interest, a passion and the depth of the power of music did the trick in this case. That was the end of the Soloist story, while the friendship between the two unlikely companions continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment