Thursday, February 17, 2011

What is with the pickles?

Once in a blue moon, as I purchase a sandwich for lunch, especially if I take it to go, I get stuck with a pickle. The actual, green, sometimes slimy, marinated, god knows how old, pickle. Today I got one from the Bread Factory.

It seemed nice and fresh, don't get me wrong. But why? I hadn't asked for it. It wasn't on the menu or in the description of the sandwich. I highly doubt that it was included in the displayed count of calories. If anything it was a waste of a perfectly good pickle.

The only crowd I know that can savour the pickle bite, is the Russian-speaking one. And even then, as far as I know, this historic practice has been limited to stay-at-home family dinner gatherings. I prefer the ones in brine. I think they are known as the Polish pickles.

My curiosity got the best of this pickle situation. I decided to investigate the history of pickle eating with sandwiches. And that is exactly what I googled.

I found that apparently, it remains a strong symbol of New York's culinary heritage. Also, people's relationship to pickles runs deep within a culture. Yep, you guessed it. It is the immigrants' fault! Especially it is all those Eastern Europeans that had a significant influence on the introduction of pickled foods, not just cucumbers to the United States. Did you know that in 2001: The First Annual New York City International Pickle Day began?

You learn something new every day. I still think, however, that this practice is a waste for the most part. I don't think people appreciate all this history and culture that is nonchalantly included in their to-go bag. I might be wrong. I hope that I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment