Thursday, February 10, 2011

The morning dilemma, under 3 seconds, GO!

The train arrives. I step in. Although more likely than not at 8:06am I am pushed in by the morning rushers. I have 3 seconds. You get only 3, to decide where to sit.

I am lucky in that my station is one of the first on the train's route to Manhattan and beyond. I have the option of a number of available seats. That is my morning dilemma.

It becomes one of those fleeting morning stresses that is totally unnecessary and silly. Yet, it can decide the fate of the rest of my day. The nerve, I know, how dare I complain when I can actually sit at all. Some of my co-commuters getting on at the very next stop are usually not as lucky.

The first half of one second, if it is sunny then I have to decide whether I want to be squinting my eyes against the bright sunny sky. If so, I would sit on the left side of the cart. Surprisingly, sometimes I prefer just that. The sun just makes me smile. The alternative, rain or shine, is easier on the eyes and makes for a nice reading spot or sleeping spot. This decision is totally within my control. The other, not so much.

The rest of the time is the most crucial. I have to decide whether to sit to the side of the train, facing forward in the direction of the train, or facing back. This choice is ultimately made easier by scanning the sitting neighbor at the time. This is why it takes 2 ½ seconds.

In this unprecedented short glimpse, a million brainwaves are actively working at the same time with the hope of foreseeing the future. Let's see, do I want to know the latest dating gossip from the middle aged single man and woman, who are admittedly ‘friends’? Do I want to be distracted by the two teenagers sitting on either side of me and texting each other making me feel paranoid that they will be talking about me? Will it be easy to brush of someone else's filed nails, make-up, a sesame seed bagel or the morning coffee from my clothing? Would today be the day that I will be slept on, drooled on, screamed on, sang to, talked to, pushed, or squeezed inappropriately by total strangers?

Decisions, decisions and all under 3 seconds. Today was peaceful with only a few back and forth comments about being pushed from the other corner of the train. I have moved on with my day, although I can't wait for the evening commute back. I love the NYC subways!

No comments:

Post a Comment