Thursday, February 3, 2011

No coffee for me! (3/365)

Coffee! Many of us long for it as soon as we wake up, may be even dream of it. As soon as I came out of the train station in City Hall I continued thinking about that first morning sip of coffee flavor and sweetness. Surprisingly, it is not the caffeine that I crave. To my despair, however, I realized that I do not have any cash. Not a dollar! I enjoy those credit card accepting venues such as a Starbucks (I have the Gold Member card) or a Dunkin Donuts once in a while. My morning preference, however, is the guy on the corner. One of the many owners of the breakfast places on wheels. Unfortunately for me, he only takes cash.

Yes, he does not offer decaf, or skim/soy milk, or raspberry flavors. I won’t even mention the shmacaccinos, etc. He is right next to the entrance door to the office building, so in this freezing weather I do not want to have to defrost my bare fingers after carrying the coffee for a block and a half. The medium coffee cup is only $1, instead of an average $4 cup you know where.

The guy knows me! He begins making my cup of coffee no questions asked, with a smile, as soon as he is done servicing the previous customer on the line. He is not over-caffeinated as Starbucks baristas are. I do not have to repeat my order a few times as I frequently have to do in DD (I’m not ordering pharmaceuticals, just medium coffee with milk and sugar). Most importantly, I feel as if I am actively contributing to the growth and prosperity of the local economy.

End of this morning’s story, I was left without coffee. This only means that I will have the pleasure of indulging in my next first morning sip. May be I should find out the guy’s name? Would that be a NYC thing to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment