Friday, February 4, 2011

Oh Haribo, Haribo. How I love thee, Haribo. (4/365)


A burst of sugar as you chew on its gummy marshmallow combination that eventually sweetly melts in your mouth. I love the Strawberry Haribo! The experience is a memory of its own. I haven’t been able to just have one or two of them after purchasing a bag, so typically about half a bag is devoured in one sitting. Atrocious, I know. So much sugar, but it is worth the sacrifice.

Too bad that it is only (to my knowledge) available in Europe. Although, I haven’t actually tried searching for it beyond the typical grocery and candy stores in the metropolitan cities. I wonder if there is a black market for them in the US. That reminds me to check out E-bay!

So to my pleasant surprise, just a few days ago a very dear former flatmate/friend from Germany who I had the fun of living next to in the UK university, sent me some. This is how much of an impression and an international sensation my discovery and love of Haribo strawberries has made. This seemingly simple and inexpensive parcel brought so many sweet memories. Among the 14 of us living on the same floor (we each had our own room): 8 were from China, 1 from India, 1 from Pakistan, 2 from Italy, 1 from Germany, leaving me, the Russian/American born in Ukraine. I was the most native English speaker on the floor, which was ironic.

Thank you my German friend! My mouth is truly grateful for your offer of sweetness.

No comments:

Post a Comment